7.15.2013

florean fortescue

Confession: I always have and always will be obsessed with Harry Potter. I cannot wait until the day my daughter is old enough that I can introduce her to the magic of Hogwarts - the moving pictures, the ghosts, the magical candy, the spells...

I remember my first exposure to Harry Potter. I was probably in fifth grade, and I was in my elementary school library. One of my best friends came up to me and showed me the title of the chapter she was reading in her book. It was Platform 9 3/4. Do you know what I told her? I'm ashamed to admit it. I said, "What a weird book. Why would you read that?"

Looking back, I hang my head in shame. I am horrified that I ever scoffed at Harry Potter. Please, Harry, please - accept my heartfelt apology.

After finally giving the books a chance, I knew that a part of me would always live in Harry's world. One of the place's I've always wanted to visit is Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour in Diagon Alley. Can you imagine how delicious that ice cream would taste? Sigh...

So the first post on my blog is dedicated to Harry Potter and his favorite summer study spot before his third year at Hogwarts.

To make these cupcakes, I just baked some cupcakes - any flavor will do - and frosted them with cream cheese frosting. I colored a little bit of the frosting pink and a little bit brown. Then I picked out the five biggest, prettiest cupcakes and swirled on the frosting with a Wilton 12 tip. After swirling it on, I didn't feel like it looked like ice cream. So I kind of dragged the tip through, swirling again, but not squeezing any frosting out. It gave the frosting more of a scooped look instead of a swirled look. Make sense?

Then I arranged them with the cone on the board (cardboard covered with wrapping paper) and added the little swirls in between the scoops. Topped with sprinkles, crushed nuts, crushed Oreos, sprinkles and mini chocolate chips.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 stick butter, softened
8 oz block cream cheese, softened
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
powdered sugar (2-4 cups)
heavy cream (a few tablespoons)

Beat the butter with the pinch of salt to loosen it up a bit. Add in the cream cheese and beat some more. Add vanilla and mix away. Add in some powdered sugar. When it starts getting thick, drizzle in some cream. Keep it up, alternating powdered sugar and cream, until your frosting reaches the desired consistency and flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment