7.25.2013

fizzing whizbees

Another Harry Potter cupcake! Hooray!

So a few years ago...like maybe between 2005 and 2007...my brother was serving an LDS mission in Louisiana. We would write letters back and forth, and these letters often contained our very own Harry Potter illustrations.

I give you Exhibit A:

















My brother drew this. Isn't it awesome? For those who can't tell (because it took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure out), those fireworks are spelling "poop." Just like in the book. It happens - don't try to tell me it doesn't!

Anyway, I remember reading about fizzing whizbees in Harry Potter, and I immediately knew that they would be like Zots. Turns out they are really large sherbet balls that make you float when you suck on them. What!? I think Zots are a better candy. I mean FIZZING whizbees? Seriously - Zots. C'mon people. There's no other option.






















These cupcakes were an experiment, and according to my two test subjects (aka my friends), they were yummy. So HOORAY! I get to share the recipe with you. And - BONUS! - it's super simple! Hope you enjoy them!






















Fizzing Whizbee Cupcakes:
1 white cake mix, plus ingredients needed to prepare as indicated on the back of the box
1 packet strawberry Kool-Aid powder

Mix it all together, pop them in at 350 for 12-17 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly touched.

For the frosting, I tried out Duncan Hines Frosting Creations. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, it's pretty much a can of (vanilla?) frosting, then you can by a variety of flavored mix-in powders. I'd seen them in the store, and I'd been curious whether or not they tasted good. So when I was at Target a few weeks ago and saw that both the frosting and the flavor add-ins were on clearance, I went ahead and picked some up. For this cupcake I went for the strawberry shortcake flavor. I added in an extra cup of powdered sugar to stiffen it up a little, because it was really soft. It turned out okay, but I think I'll stick with homemade frosting from now on... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment