9.16.2013

particular sadness

I read a book a few months ago called The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake. I had read the synopsis on goodreads and thought it sounded really interesting and fun - someone who can taste emotions in food? What a cool idea. Unfortunately, I didn't like the book at all. It was really depressing, and the end was too strange for me. And it's hard to find something too strange for me...but this book did it.






















Despite the fact that I didn't like the book, there was a part of the book where Rose's (the main character) mom makes her a lemon cake with chocolate frosting for her birthday. I've seen a few lemon/chocolate recipes before, and the combination just seemed weird to me. But I decided to give it a try anyway. It was really yummy!





















Lemon Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting:
Lemon cake mix and ingredients needed to prepare according to back of box

1 stick butter, softened
pinch of salt
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
4-5 tablespoons milk
1 tsp vanilla

Prepare cake mix according to directions on box.

In a stand mixer, beat butter and salt until butter is loosened up. Add 1 cup powdered sugar and beat on low. Add one tablespoon of milk. Add cocoa and remaining powdered sugar. Beat in two more tablespoons milk and vanilla. If needed, add another tablespoon or two of milk.


No comments:

Post a Comment